Regional Training Center

 Oregon / SW Washington

Painters, Drywall Finishers & Allied Trades Apprenticeship


Frequently Asked Questions



How does your program work?
- We help you locate a paid job with a Union contractor.
- We require monthly reports of your work hours.
- We require attendance at classes, which are on your own time during the school year. Classes are held evenings and sometimes on Saturdays.
Return to Top

Do I have to pay for the classes?
No. There is no charge for classes. Classes begin after you are sent to work.
Return to Top

Do I need a car?
Yes. You must have your own reliable transportation. Your job assignments will change, sometimes on short notice. Work shifts may be at night. You may be assigned to job sites up to 50 miles away.Also, classes are held at the Training Center which is difficult to reach by bus.
Return to Top

What are the physical requirements?
You must be able to:
a) stand/walk for up to 8 hours a day
b) lift/carry up to 50 lbs. frequently and 100 lbs occasionally
c) climb ladders, planks, scaffolding, and work in high places (average height 30-40 feet)
d) work above shoulder level
e) work around fumes and dust.
Return to Top

How long does the program take?
These apprenticeship opportunities consist of 6,000 hours of on-the-job training for the Painter and Drywall Finisher programs, and 7,000 hours for the Traffic Control program. There is an additional 432 hours of related classroom instruction for each program.
Return to Top

How much will I make?
Apprentices start at a specified percentage of journeyman wages and work their way up during their apprenticeship. Wages are negotiated annually with the Unions. See Public Notice.
Return to Top

Is it hard to get into the program?
No. You need to meet the minimum age and educational requirements. To succeed in the program you need to attend classes regularly, submit Monthly Progress Records on time, and prove that you are a good worker.When can I apply?We are open for applications during the months of January thru September. During those months we take applications every Tuesday from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM. You must apply in person.
Return to Top

When can I apply?
We are open for applications during the months of January thru September. During those months we take applications every Tuesday from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM. You must apply in person.
Return to Top

Can you mail me an application?
No. Applications must be completed in person.
Return to Top

What should I bring?
- Photo ID
- Proof of High School diploma or GED (translated into English as needed)
- Proof of relevant work or school history (to increase your score)
Return to Top

When will I know if I've been accepted?
We will mail you a letter soon after the end of the month. If you are not accepted, we will tell you why. If you are accepted, we will give you the date of the next Orientation session. You will have three opportunities to attend.
Return to Top

What do I do next?
You must attend an Orientation here at the Regional Training Center. Allow at least an hour. After the Orientation, your name goes on the Ranked Pool list. The more points you score on your application, the higher you will be on the list for jobs.   Return to Top

When will I go to work?   
Once your name is on the Pool, you will be dispatched to a job as soon as jobs become available. This varies with economic conditions and the time of year. We can't guarantee when you will go to work, but most opportunities will come in the summer months.
Return to Top

Will I join the Union?
Yes. Soon after you are dispatched for your first job, you need to join the Union. Initiation fee is currently $100. 
Return to Top

What if I'm laid off?
Construction work may involve seasonal lay-offs. Contact your local Union. They maintain an out-of-work list and will contact you when another job becomes available.
Return to Top

What do you mean by "commercial" and "industrial" painting?
Commercial work can include: painting schools, department stores, office buildings or any number of projects.
Industrial work can include: preparing and painting metal surfaces such as bridges, water tanks and other steel structures. This may mean working from a boom lift or spyder basket 40-60' above the ground.
Return to Top

How can I get information about other apprenticeship opportunities?
The Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI) is the Oregon state agency that oversees apprenticeship programs.
Return to Top